Skip to main content
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    SeasonsLater
    Participant

A slew of devil spawn eggs, wonder if anyone can ID the insect?  DevilSpawnEggs

CamZ

I will try to keep an eye for updates. Caterpillars suck but that one looks awesome. Looks like moth eggs on the leaf.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I’m no expert when it comes to pests. Maybe there is someone else on the forum who knows and can provide guidance.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

IPM Options During Wk4+ Flower Northeast.  I have mites on my GG #4  red bucket.  I took my 60x magnifier glass and have confirmed.  The plant is quarantined outside far away from my other healthy plants?(I would like to fight back rather than apply scorched earth policy at this point). What options do I have at this point?

CamZ

If they are spider mites in week 4 then there are only 2 things I suggest. If you have never dealt with them before then be ready for a struggle. Most people will suggest killing the plant because it’s so hard to get rid of them safely.

1st thing I would try is something called fruitflybarpro. You probably need like 4 of them. They produce a toxic gas that will suffocate the spider mites, though it does nothing for the eggs. You would need to put the plant in a small closed space, even a large plastic bag would do and put a fan blowing at your plant. Then you just hang them on the fan. All the adults and larvea will die. Then you’ll need to do it again in like 4-5 days and that should take care of most of them.

The other option, which is substantially harder but will save your plants, is to find a way to hang them upside down and place sticky traps in a tight cylinder on the main stem near the bottom. Spider mites web up your plants to try and catch wind currents to more plants. They fly on their silk. They will always climb to the highest points of the plant for this. If the plant is upside down they will crawl towards the pot and get stuck on the sticky trap. If and of them make it past the trap then they will congregate together and you will have the extreme satisfaction of burning the little bastards with hellfire.

I wish you the best, just know you are in for one of the most disheartening fights of your life. Spidermites is a swearword at my house.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

20+ year veggie gardener here and dealing with insects is par for the course.  When Mr G told one of his stories about his mother in laws lemon tree on one of his pod casts it was very relatable.  I fight them constantly so the fruitflybarpro seems like something I would actually apply.  Seeing how it is in a 4×4 this will def hit home in their ranks.  I also did some research while waiting for your reply on some other sites.  Have you heard of green clean as it seems to be the cats meow and if required can be used in flower.  I will def try the fruitflybar and set those up.  throughout the 4×4 as I too loathe spider mites!

SeasonsLater
    Participant

@CamZ

Here is a link to Central Coast Garden Green Cleaner.  Let me know your thoughts on this one…

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Guess I cannot post a link to amazon.

Central Coast Garden Green Cleaner

CamZ

@SeasonsLater good find. I looked up the material safety data sheet for it and it looks safe. The only thing I was unsure of was sodium lauryl sulfate, but I found a peer reviewed paper demonstrating its safety. The MSDS even states that the cleaner shouldn’t cause issues when inhaled. I would be careful spraying it in flower because it’s 30% soybean oil. I wouldn’t want that in my buds causing bud rot. As far as its safety, it can’t be any worse than smoking cannabis oils. Bud washing should get rid of most of it after the fact though.

With the fruitflybarpro, it’s not something you want to be in the same space with for any extended period of time. It is a toxic gas and can give you a headache. It is more of a knockdown and get rid of it kind of thing. I just prefer it because it doesn’t leave residue behind like sprays, nor does it add extra moisture.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Yes I agree on the toxicity and another reason for swapping the tent hours of daylight.  I will sneak the fruitflybarpro in during the daytime tomorrow throughout the day when I leave the tent flaps closed and have negative in the tent.  I am still a bit nervous but it is better being awake than sleeping.  As for Central Coast Garden Green Cleaner that will be backup incase the fruitflybarpro needs assistance.  Thanks again for the advice!

CamZ

Happy to help!

SeasonsLater
    Participant

The fight goes on, and the rabbit is definitely in the proverbial garden.  I am staying vigilant in manual IPM at this point pulling off mainly caterpillars.  I brought out the black light which I use in the garden to find horned tomato worms as their bio-luminance makes them glow in the dark.  I attached a picture of the  pillars I keep pulling off if anyone knows what I am dealing with here.  Also I am observing some budrot on a few buds.  I presume I should clip if fully off to prevent spreading.  Do you use a sandwich baggie or something while cutting to minimize spores from flying?  I have included a picture of what I believe to be budrot.  Any help would be appreciated. mysterycaterpillar

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Here is pic of one on plant for size reference.  They are not very big and super camouflaged!!Actionshot

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Here is a shot of what I believe to be budrot forming and I just want to be sure I am seeing the correct thing here.  I have attached 3 photos in one upload.

confirBR

CamZ

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Those are the hatched moth eggs you saw believe it or not. You must have missed some. Yes, that’s bud rot. You will want to remove any parts with rot using a plastic bag as you say. Also, remove any area you find the catipillar damage as they poop while they eat, which is the origin of the rot in the first place most likely. I wish you the best of luck with managing them. There isn’t really any good way to get rid of them that I’m aware of this late in flower unfortunately.</p>

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.