Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! 9 day old seedling issue (new grower)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    SeasonsLater
    Participant

Very nice growing so far!  Just adding some thoughts here as I just got done with my initial grow for the first time.  When using my grow light in testing for the first time temps jump upwards of 7-10 degrees in my 4×4, so much so I had to crack a side of my tent to keep temps at bay.  I do know Mr. G flips his day and night schedule as a way to battle growing variables temp, RH, VPD etc…  I am on the east coast and have done the same as I have an inline to bring in outside air which is much much cooler in the evening which helped tremendously.

rama777
    Participant

Thanks! It’s gonna be so cold in the winter. Not too worried about temperature. Condensation might be an issue in the tent. Hopefully not.

rama777
    Participant

When I got nervous about a potential disease, I clipped off the spots from the fan leaves to look at them closer under a microscope. I’d say all the first big fan leaves are starting to lose some color, but the ones I snipped are the most yellow. At 32 days old, is it just normal for them to start dying off like this or is it indicative of something else?

rama777
    Participant

I removed those fans because they were too close to the soil for watering. Can’t remember if this is from the same plant but one of them has a few leaves that are yellowing. Is it a potential nitrogen deficiency? Kind of surprising to see yellowing of leaves a few days after transplanting into fresh soil no?

rama777
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>There are several yellowing leaves. One of them is progressively yellowing pretty fast. I’m sure the plant isn’t about to just go yellow and die off or anything, but it would be cool to know why I’m seeing this. I lightly pre-moistened the soil in a bin before transplanting. My gut says it’s due to a bit of transplant shock or perhaps some inconsistent moisture in the new soil.</p>

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Has the moisture content been consistent in the grow pots? If they dry out, microbes can go dormant and the organic matter breakdown will slow down or even stop. That can certainly result in the plant not being able to absorb the nutrients it needs. Those fabric pots do have benefits but with organics it can be challenging since they can dry out from all sides. The yellowing could be from either a lack of nutrition (my guess is your fresh soil has the nutrients, it just needs to stay moist), or often times the lower leaves that aren’t receiving light will die off.

rama777
    Participant

Cool thanks. They’ve been in the 7 gallon pots for 4 days and haven’t been watered again yet so it’s a bit early to say wether they’ve been “consistently moist.” In the 1 gallon pots, well that seems a bit more difficult to keep at the optimal moisture level for organics so those were mostly being watered on a wet/dry cycle. Now in the 7’s I will endeavor to maintain a relatively even moisture. I have a feeling the old soil where most of the roots are has become dry. I’ll give it a shot with a light watering tonight.

rama777
    Participant

Should I grab some yucca to use with my water now and again or is that kind of a waste of money?

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I like yucca for hydrophobic soil. Some might say it’s an overkill for your scenario. Either way it’s optional; you can totally get through the grow successfully without it.

rama777
    Participant

I’ve got a few fading lower leaves, day 9 into 12/12. Does it look like a nitrogen deficiency forming?

The canopy is very dense so I don’t know if it’s just normal for the lower leaves receiving the least amount of light to start fading of if it’s something I should potentially fix with more nitrogen before it’s past a good time to do so.

rama777
    Participant

I’ve got a few leaves that are lightly fading at the base of the plants, 9 days into flower. I had been blending in veg nutes with bloom nutes and tapering that down. Never the less, is this indicative of the beginnings of an N deficiency?

Watering these big pots can be weird. I was wondering if perhaps a dry pocket or two would cause this, but again it’s all at the base of the plants.

I want to nip it in the bud and give them some more N sooner and later if they need it but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.

Also possible that I am overwatering some. It’s kind of difficult to judge still. Possible cause of this?

rama777
    Participant

I’ve got a few fading lower leaves, day 9 into 12/12. Does it look like a nitrogen deficiency forming?

The canopy is very dense so I don’t know if it’s just normal for the lower leaves receiving the least amount of light to start fading of if it’s something I should potentially fix with more nitrogen before it’s past a good time to do so.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I’m just getting back onto the forum after MJBizCon week and being sick. Lower leaves dying off due to not receiving sufficient light is normal. Can’t say for sure that’s the case with your plants or not. Is this still an issue?

rama777
    Participant

No not really. Ultimately everything is great shape!

rama777
    Participant

I’ve got some burnt tips but not too bad. However I’m not certain if it’s from overfeeding or some light stress. I had my HPS too close for a while. The recommended distances are all over the map. I jacked it up to play it safe. Lex Blazer’s recommended lux for HID is profoundly lower than what 99% of people have said on the forums over the years. Rather confusing..

Anyways here’s the main question, if you get burnt tips from overfeeding, where does that show up on the plant? Top of canopy only? Fans only? Sugar leaves?

My burnt tips are 100% concentrated in the top 3-4” of the canopy. No burnt tips where there is less light.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.