Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! 9 day old seedling issue (new grower)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    rama777
    Participant

Hi beautiful people! So, this is a Grimm truffles (Cinderella 99 x white truffles). I planted them in pro-mix blended 50/50 with coast of maine stonington blend. No nutrients yet. Temps have been between 72-81, 65% humidity with a 6” acinfinity fan blowing on them at speed 2 or 3. Pretty gentle. 2-4” away from 6400l T5 bulbs. Tent is getting fresh air from exhaust and active intake. Water? Good question! I’ve been using rainwater. I am going to be able to figure out what the pH of the water is tomorrow. So until I know that, I won’t jump the gun and try anything crazy. So, I’m guessing pH issue or the beginning of magnesium deficiency, or possibly overwatering but only slightly if so, and I actually doubt it. With that coast of maine blended into the soil mix, I wouldn’t think it would be nitrogen yet right? They seem to be growing pretty fast. A few little roots sneaking out the bottom. Thank you for any help!! I really want to do the right thing for my little guys as soon as possible!

rama777
    Participant

rama777
    Participant

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Your soil has plenty of nutrients already in it so I’d rule that out. How many times have you watered it and what do you do to decide if it needs water or not?

rama777
    Participant

I believe it may have been light burn. I had T5’s about 2” away. I moved it up to 5” or so and it seemed to have solved the issue. This particular plant was the most vigorous and tall, so the closest to the lights.

I have since transplanted and moved to a 400watt MH light and I’ll be conservative about bringing the light closer every few days. I believe the light is about 25” from the canopy. Everything is looking pretty good. Thanks for the response!

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I’m glad it got better and everything is good now! Cheers!

rama777
    Participant

Thanks man!

rama777
    Participant

How about this one? It’s only on one leaf of one plant. It’s appearance is like tiny rust pits, but the color is more towards a yellow/orange rather than orange/red. Difficult to capture colors on camera phones..

They’ve received one full watering since their initial transplant from 5 days ago. Still using rain water with nothing added so far besides a microbial inoculant at transplant.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Everything looks fine there my friend. Nothing to worry about as of right now IMO. If you see yellowing happening between the veins or anywhere else on the leaf then that indicates a problem. Also if you see rust spots on the leaf (larger than the spots you mention look like rust spots in this pic), that can also be a concern. But all is good there as of now.

rama777
    Participant

Cool thanks! I’m not feeling paranoid or anything, I just want to be sure to develop a solid understanding of plant issues as I see them arise so that I won’t have to ask these questions in the future :))

rama777
    Participant

I’m on day 18 now, seeing exceptional growth overall. I have 4 in Coast of Maine’s Stonington Blend and 4 in Terrabiotics soil. The former are smaller and the latter are bigger. Both are equally as healthy I’d say, but definitely faster growth in the terrabiotics.

Going to top 5 of them today or tomorrow and cull the slower 3.

There is one plant with more stress signs. I’m not hugely concerned but it would be nice if I could know what the symptoms are telling me..

Light on temps have been between 74-80 at the canopy. Night cycle between 69-74. Humidity between 45-65, with 60 being average. 400 watt MH was as low as 20” but I’ve bumped that up to 25” as most of the plants have shown some light blistering consistent with the seedlings in this original post. I think that’s what it is anyway. Just some yellow to whitish blistering. Nothing crazy.

A few have one or two leaves with downward curls, with this one plant in the photo having both up and down curl on the same fan leaf. This happened after the last watering two days ago. It is possible that I watered a tad too late, unlikely early. Runoff water on all the plants was on the order of a single ounce or less. I wouldn’t call that excessive by any means. Just right I think.

Watered a bit too late? Plants adjusting to the nutrients in the new soil (over a week since transplant though)? Heat stress?

And then this same plant has a burnt tip at one of the newer nodes (no other burnt tips on the plant) and some blistering and distortion on another portion of the same leaf. I cannot say with any certainty but I had the metal probe of the acinfinity sensor sitting on the top of one of the plants for a day. Could have been this one but I have no idea. Can the metal probe burn leaves on extended contact? I just now noticed this same blistering and slight deformation on another plant, same node. Intuition and hope is that it was from lights too close. Probable and plausible theory? Thank you anyone, and especially you Chris!

rama777
    Participant

rama777
    Participant

Perhaps I should mention that starting a week ago I was manually bending the tops down to get light to the lower shoots. I did that for a few days before deciding that I wanted faster top growth right now since the next move is topping the plants.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

The clawing you show in the first pic you posted on 10/14 is a sign of nitrogen toxicity. However, the color of the leaves isn’t too dark of green, they aren’t shiny, and the clawing is only on a few leaves. Some times the plant will “grow out of it” as long as you’re only giving plain water without any additional fertilizer. I wouldn’t worry unless in the following days it appears to be getting worse or you see the other symptoms I mention.

The temps, RH, and light distance you mention are fine. What you mention as “blistering” looks like normal growth.

Your question: “Can the metal probe burn leaves on extended contact?”
    I don’t think the probe gets hot enough for that.

You’re doing a great job so far. Growth looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!

rama777
    Participant

Man, I really appreciate you. All is pretty well. Looking forward to having fewer and fewer questions and anxieties as I learn this plant..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.