Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! Soil with DownToEarth Fertilizers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    piet
    Participant

Hello there!

I’m currently buying all the things for my first indoor grow.
    I wanted to try out this Vegan Mix by DownToEarthFertilizer: https://downtoearthfertilizer.com/products/blended_fertilizer/vegan-mix-3-2-2/

I’m looking to do a vegan, organic grow in soil. Do I have to look out for anything in specific with the choice of soil? My first thought was to go with BioBizz light mix and only add the Vegan Mix but maybe someone here can recemmond a better choice or something to topdress with as well.

I just finished 7 Steps to Grow Cannabis and can’t wait to finally get started!
    I study agricultural scienc atm but I still have a lot to learn so let me know any tips because I’m very open to any suggestions 🙂

Keep it growing guys!

piet
    Participant

I may add that though maybe not considered vegan I would not have a problem with adding worm castings, which seem to be very beneficial to any soil!

I have also looked into just mixing this vegan mix myself but for this run still want to give the DownToEarth mix a go!

cheers 🙂

CamZ

I’m vegan myself. Dte mixes are pretty good. If you are a beginner let them do the heavy lifting with their mixes. You can get into making your own mixes if you do a bit of research later. It doesn’t matter if the fertilizer is animal based or not. The plants will grow well as long as you have good ratios. Rock phosphate for phosphorus, alfalfa meal for nitrogen, langbenite for potassium, kelp meal for micros, dolomite lime for cal/mag. Earthworm castings are great also. I have my own worm bin, so I know the worms are well looked after.

piet
    Participant

Thanks a lot for reassuring me!

I definitely want to get more into mixing my own things but for this first run I’m sticking to DTE.

What’s your opinion on insect frass? sadly also not veganic but seems to be very beneficial due to the Protozoa and the silicon.
    Having my own worm bin also sounds like something I should look into, thanks for putting me onto that 🙂

CamZ

Most any soil you get will have insect frags in it already, or more specifically chitin. Bugs live and die in soil. To me it’s part of the life cycle. I wouldn’t add an external source personally because it’s farmed. No matter what you do, you’ll likely have springtails and other soil bugs already living out their life in your soil. If you want protazoa there are other ways. As far as silicon, it’s likely also sufficient in most soil mixes. If you want to add it in you can use silicon dioxide for cheap.

piet
    Participant

Unfortunately none of the brands like DownToEarth, BuildASoil or KIS Organics ship to europe or have any sellers outside of america. I thought surely there would be vendors for this but sadly that isn’t the case. Due to this I will start and creating my own mix. I will have to check out a lot more information than I thought but I’m looking forward to learning more about this amazing topic!

CamZ

I’m sure local sources for the same materials are probably avaliable in your region, though prices may differ drastically.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.