Skip to main content
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fireparker
    Participant

After adding all my nutrients to my tank I’m ending up with 5.7Ph adding no Ph adjusters. After this each day my Ph keeps dropping in the space of 3 days I have added 9ml Ph UP just to keep it at 5.8Ph ( I would like it to be at 6.2Ph but have fears of adding to much Ph UP). Why would my Ph drop so much? Is it OK to add this much Ph up will it effect my quality of product in the long run.

Many Thanks In Advamce.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I’m assuming you have the mixture in a reservoir; is that correct? Are you using a mixer or air stones? Also, what nutrient lineup are you using?

Fireparker
    Participant

I run a reservoir of 205 litre capacity with two air stones and a small circulating pump. The nutrients I am using a Ph neutral (Australian Made).

My water tests at 6.8Ph

After adding nutrients I’m struggling to keep the Ph at 5.8 with it dropping as low as 5.5Ph.

I have been checking my Ph daily and need to add around 2ml each day to keep it from dropping below 5.8Ph.

Not sure if I am being pedantic or not but I’m just trying to achieve the best quality.

CamZ

When ph drops in the res that quickly it’s usually caused by a small number of things in my experience. You have bacteria or algea in your res that’s releasing exudates that are altering ph, your plants are drinking water too fast, or you are evaporating water too quickly with your aeration.

Are/is your ppms/ec going up, down, or staying the same?

Another possibility is that elements in your tap water are combining with your nutrients and falling out of solution.

Yes, adding too much ph up/down can skew your ratios and cause issues. 2ml per day doesn’t sound too bad though honestly. 5.8 is ideal but bouncing between 6.5 and 5.5 is perfectly acceptable.

Fireparker
    Participant

I clean my res nearly every week. I also run an aquarium Chiller to keep nutrients temp between 64-72F as temperatures get over 100F here.

My ppms are staying the same.

My tap water has recently dropped from 7.0 Ph to 6.7Ph.

In total this week I have added 9ml Ph UP  just to keep my Ph level at 5.8.

I appreciate the advice and will keep an eye on readings and see how things unfold.

CamZ

No problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.