Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! Mother plant/ genetics questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Share_The_Pain
    Participant

Good morning everyone, hope everyone is well and safe. I’m reaching you guys because I would like to get some of my bro science questions answered if possible. W

When picking an cultivar preferably an ibl, to make a stock/mother plant, should the cultivar be regular or feminised? Are they both viable? Or… from my research it seems most people point out their preference towards the regular beans for success… Just started to see triploids reaching the market as well, are they also good for that goal or not really?

I was looking for something like Afghani from sensi or deep chunck X18 or Friesland (M33) or Northern Lights from authentic genetics but… I guess I still need to do a further reaserch.  Best wishes to everyone 🙏

Any info would be much appreciated. Kind regards ☮️❤️

reflux1
    Participant

both reg and fem will work but reg seeds are usualy somewhat more stabel

reflux1
    Participant

those  triploids a cool, always liked them, have grown many, but all that i have seen with them, is after several nodes high thay have always switch back to regular 2 node plants  aleast all mine have.

CamZ

Either regular or fems will work for a mother plant. Triploids can also work but have the potential of being more difficult to get clones to root.

I think reflux might be confused about the meaning of triploids. A triploid plant has an extra chromosome, which makes it infertile, but also has the potential to exhibit more interesting characteristics.

If I were you I’d pick fems from a reliable breeder. Just my opinion though.

reflux1
    Participant

camz

isn t a Triploid plant a plant that 3 sets leaves,  or 3 branches to each node,  instead of 2 nodes per branch it has 3

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

@reflux1 No, it’s different. Here’s a good article on it: https://humboldtseedcompany.com/triploid-cannabis-breeding/

CamZ

Negative. It is a plant with an extra chromosome created by crossing a polyployd to a regular plant. Polyployds can occur naturally but in breeding it is typically forced by treating seedlings with a drug used to treat gout funny enough. The resulting seeds are sterile do to this extra chromosome, yet they have the potential to create unique cultivars because of these extra gene expressions.

reflux1
    Participant

so your taking about colchicine then right,  done shitload of study about this,  only tried it once,  its also found in winter and autumn crocus bulbs,  mash them up and aply an equal amount of water,  that makes a 0.5% soluton,  i tried it 1 time,  have also seen leaves with 37 fingers on there leaves as well,  also read of people aplying 0.5 soluton to shoots of plants,  never tried it,  but becouse its so much of a poison and aplying it to aready strong plants it makes sense, as plants are much stronger than seeds,  also if i remember right,  there has been 0.5 and 1.o and 15% soluton used, with the 15% multiplying cromozones 3x more of a o.5% soluton,  but at that strength,  it would be very very strong poison soluton,  another thing i learned is it can make plants take longer to flower,  so outdoors this can be a problem,  as there late flower time can mean some of them would have to finish through colder months,  which gives temp problems, cant thing of nothing else at this time but open to questons if anyones has a interest

reflux1
    Participant

the 1 time i tried it,  i mashed up a winter and autum crocus bulbs,  added equal amount of water,  started 100 seeds sat them in solution over night 24h in a 0.5% solution,  then germed as usual in paper towl  from 100 seeds only 2 remaned,  and they were very sick and very slow growing,  at first the leaves came out with only smoth leaves with no seratons,  and took 1 month to grow 1 node,  and even after then they still grew very slow,  ended up having to move,  and left them,  1 thing that stuck in my mind, was how how strong a poison it was but its all about the second gen not the first

reflux1
    Participant

the reserch i done was 25 years ago,  to be honest i forgot all about this,  iv had a bit of a look since then,  to find a breeder over the years using this,  only to to pull up nothing,  this is the first company iv herd do this

2 questions i have is

1   can anyone confirm repeated folar sprays with 0.5% solution will work,  the only time iv heard of this,  is from a very very old grow book,  be early 70s grow book,  but never seen this done or talked about folar spray since,  if i remember right,  the reference said to put a cotton wool on the tips and spray repeatedly to maintain a wet constant transfer,  as iv said before becouse of this being so toxic to plants it would make sense as a grown plant is much stronger than germ seeds

2  can anyone confirm how much longer it takes for the these plants to finish flowering,  as cold wether sets in quick where i live

CamZ

Aside from Mr Grow It, I don’t think anyone will have more knowledge on the subject on the forum. In regards to the spray solution, I know the spray solution is very low for colchicine. I believe it is 3% for 24 hours or 5% at 12 hours if I recall the study correctly. I do not suggest anyone mess with this outside of a clinical setup because it is not only toxic to plants, it is dangerous to humans as well. It causes irregular cellular development, which is why it’s used to create polyployds. There are several studies avaliable for review if anyone wants to read them. I believe the clinical research is your best bet at acquiring that information, particularly due to its strict adherence to procedural safety.

reflux1
    Participant

second gen is whats its all about,  have also thought it may not be as bad as people say , as people take this for gout ,but no one realy nows,  a big danger would probably to pregnant women,  that would be scary, but theres been no study about this  camz could to give me any more info about folar spray like how and how often its applyed

CamZ

My apologies. The concentration was .02 and .05 and the durations were 6, 12, and 24 hours.

A study on natural occurrence.

https://www.mdpi.com/2223-7747/12/23/3927

Detailed information on hops, a close cousin.

https://iung.pl/PJA/wydane/34/PJA34str3_10.pdf

A study on hemp.

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/journals/hortsci/55/10/article-p1703.xml

reflux1
    Participant

thanks once again camz,  your a walking data bank man,  im a imfomation junky,   i just love learning,  obsessive compulsive, thats all i do every day i just read online and reseach,  thought i pretty much new most about weed,  but then someone comes along like you

CamZ

Happy to help man. I’m a bit of a info junky myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.