Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! Getting fold creases out of mylar

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Hi- Setting up a small grow space for starting plants and I purchased some mylar that came folded up into a small square.

It is very creased, obviously.

Is that a problem? Is there a way to get the creases out? Do I need to bother?

Thanks!

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

I’m not sure there is any way to get the creases out unfortunately.

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Okay. Do you think it hurts anything?

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Just impacts the reflection onto the canopy. Not sure if you have a PAR meter, but if you do, you just may see inconsistencies across the canopy. Although. some might say it will be a marginal difference.

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Okay thank you! I think that since I’m only using it for starting the plants it’ll be okay. They will eventually be transplanted outdoors.

Minnekannabis
    Participant

Try using a hand-held hair dryer.
    Lay out your fabric as smooth as possible.
    Start on the lowest setting and, from a distance, fan over the creases. Start in one area and smooth your hand over the creases while applying the heat/air velocity. Increase heat/fan speed as necessary. Watch closely!! Let the fabric cool down in position you want (no creases). Move to next area. Or…You could try putting a pillow case over the mylar and ironing out the creases on a cool or warm iron setting. Just be careful of the burn point! Try a small sample area first with either suggestion.
    Good luck!
    Grandma K

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Hi! Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both, the hair dryer and the iron. I feel like it should have worked but it didn’t at all. I think the creases were just too deep. I think buying mylar in a roll is a much better option than what I bought, the little fodled up square of mylar.

reflux1
    Participant

maybe weights glued, or tied down, on the bottom may help some, do you think

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Hi! I appreciate the suggestion but I really doubt that would work, and probably not worth the effort to salvage my purchasing error. Lucky for me I’m only out about €8 euro over the creased mylar so I went ahead and ordered a proper roll of the stuff. Not only was it not creased but it was more stable. I think the thing I’d bought before was what they use for emergency blankets, like at accident scenes and not really suited to my purpose.

reflux1
    Participant

let us no what its like,  it doese sound better,  i didnt no you could buy them like that,  so its just like rolled up

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Hi! It’s on a roll on a cardboard tube like Christmas wrapping paper. The one I bought was 1.2 meters wide and 10 meters long. It also came in 5, 30 and 100 meter rolls. I paid €28 for 10 meters.

roll mylar

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

Just to be clear, it is NOT gift wrap. It is mylar on one side and has a white coating on the backside that gives it a real sturdiness. I found it by googling “roll mylar” and located a nearby online supplier.

reflux1
    Participant

thanks man, before you,  i have never heard about it,   im loking ito that for sure,  iv seen talk about flat white being one of best refletors out there,  i wonder if that the reason for the white backing

BunnyBuddy
    Participant

You’re welcome! I’m always asking for advice here so I’m happy to know I was able to be helpful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.