Skip to main content
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Project8a
    Participant

Just wanted to start off with I am a new grower and still learning so much but thanks for all the info I’ve seen and have learned so far!

I have one question that I have looked for answers on but haven’t seen anything so if this is a repeat I apologize.

I’m curious if the last stages of flower if coconut water would be a good idea? Or something we can use after a flush? Any thoughts…?

This would be for soil, using Fox farms ocean forest and going thru the typical nutrients schedule they suggest. All photoperiod.

CamZ

Coconut water has a bunch of salts in it. Not really good for that purpose. You could actually do more harm than good.

Project8a
    Participant

That would definitely make sense then and can see the salt part being an issue and doing the opposite of what we want.  Was hoping with the nutrients there would be a benefit but totally skipped the salt content part… smh…

CamZ

I think I can point you towards what you are actually looking for. It sounds like you might be interested in doing a molasses tea, though most people do it for the wrong reason. I’m sure you are aware that plants don’t eat sugars, they make them. What molasses does have is low levels of nutrients and sugar to feed microbial activity. By boosting microbes in your medium in mid-late flower, you facilitate the production of more secondary metabolites in the plant. Secondary metabolites are the things we want, like terpenes, canabanoids, and flavonoids.

There is a point of excess here though so I would really only suggest doing this once per run. Molasses does have some nitrogen in it as well, so do a bit of independent study to determine if this is right for you. You could also sub out molasses for coconut nectar instead and avoid most of the nitrogen, but you’d also lose the potassium, which is a key component in the maturation of bbuds. If you do end up going this route then you will need a source of good bacteria and fungi. You could use a small amount of something like Stash Blend for that or go with something more nutritionally inert like Great White or Orca. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Project8a
    Participant

Amazing, thanks!!!

Also, being a new grower I want to ensure I fully understand the last part you are discussing. The bacteria and fungi…. what role will that play? Is that our potassium sub??

All of this has helped a ton and thanks again!!

CamZ

My apologies. I think I got too scientific in my wording. I did address your question in the very last sentence of my first paragraph. Terpenes=smells. Canabanoids=thc, cbd, cbn, etc. Flavanoids=taste.

The mechanism by which bacteria and fungi produce these secondary metabolites is through a symbiotic relationship with the plants via the roots. Though some bacteria establish a physical connection with the roots, most bacteria benefit plants by living and dieing in the soil. They eat compounds that plants can’t use and excrete compounds they can use. Some bacteria live in and on the roots and exchange nutrients for sugars from the plant. They also help in regulating soil ph in the root zone and can clean excessive nutrient salts from the soil.

Endomycorrhizal fungi works by establishing a physical connection to the plant roots by piercing them and essentially creating a larger root base. Fungi create this web like structure called mycorizea, which transports nutrients to and from the plant in exchange for nutrients, primarily in the form of sugars.

Fungi and bacteria can increase the metabolism, immune system, and root structure of a plant significantly. Fungi also helps plants deal with stresses like drought, and in nature can send signals from one plant to another to help them adapt to stress events.

Plants exposed to beneficial bacteria and fungi have been consistently been shown to be more resilient to stress and disease. Because of their increased health, these plants produce more secondary metabolites (terpenes, canabanoids, flavanoids). These secondary metabolites help do things like repel unwanted pests, protect the plant from harmful uv rays, and attract beneficial insects and animals necessary to the procreation of the given plant. Lucky for us, these are all things we find desirable. Though it is possible to grow plants without them, plants produce more high quality material with them. Additionally, these plants are less prone to infection from pathogenic fungi and bacteria through exclusion (essentially the pathogen is unable to become established because it gets outcompeted).

It is best to introduce them as early in the plants life as possible, but feeding a sugar solution once per grow can help swell populations of both to optimum levels.

Project8a
    Participant

Thank you so much!!!!!

This was amazing info and truly helps explain things a little further.

This is a lot of great info though to take in and apply!

CamZ

I know it’s a lot lol. It’s here if you ever need to look back at it. Happy to help.

Project8a
    Participant

Lots of great info for sure!!! And thanks to your videos and your knowledge, combined it has helped me tremendously for my first grow and this new info will help that much more for my 2nd grow!!

So can’t thank you enough!!!

CamZ

I’m not Mr Grow It just FYI. Just someone he trusts as a moderator on here.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

lol yup credit goes to CamZ for this one! As you can see, he’s stacked with knowledge and provides excellent insight.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.