Skip to main content

Home Forums Grow Community – Ask Questions & Share Your Grow! Chat GPT helped me design a system, what’s wrong with it?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jamestee98
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi,</p>
    I am completely new to hydroponics and was coming up with a theoretical small NFT system to be placed on a windowsill. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information out there so I used chat GPT to help me create a theoretical system. Now I know NFT might not be optimal in this environment but I think it’s cool so I want to do it so assume that is essential. Also I know this is generally a cannabis forum but I found Mr. Grow from a podcast about hydroponics in general so was hoping you could give this plan a read and point out anything that looks crazy before I build the thing. Thank you so much. The below is output from ChatGPT:

“JT System Summary 1:

System Type: Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)
    Number of Channels: 2
    Plants per Channel: 2 (Chillies)
    Plants per Channel: 2 (Strawberries)
    Channel Dimensions: 50cm (L) x 7.5cm (W) x 15cm (D)
    Reservoir Capacity: 8 liters
    Reservoir Dimensions: 40cm (L) x 10cm (W) x 20cm (D)

Head height 30cm

Desired channel water Depth: 4-5mm
    Pump Power: 30 watts
    Pump Flow Rate: 1-2 liters per minute
    Recommended EC (Electrical Conductivity) and pH ranges:
    Seedling Stage: EC: 0.8-1.2 mS/cm, pH: around 6
    Vegetative Stage: EC: 1.2-2 mS/cm, pH: around 6
    Flowering Stage: EC: 1.8-2.8 mS/cm, pH: around 6
    Nutrient Formulation:
    To achieve these general macronutrient concentrations:
    Nitrogen (N): 2-3%
    Phosphorus (P): 1-2%
    Potassium (K): 3-5%
    Calcium (Ca): 1-2%
    Magnesium (Mg): 0.5-1%
    Sulfur (S): 0.2-0.5%
    Macronutrients:
    20-20-20 N-P-K Mix
    Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Pottassium (K) and Add 64 grams of 20-20-20 mix to the 8L reservoir
    Calcium Nitrate:
    Calcium (Ca): Add 3.2-8 grams of calcium nitrate to the reservoir
    Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate):
    Magnesium (Mg): Add 1.6-4 grams of Epsom salt to the reservoir
    Chelated Micronutrients: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for appropriate dosage and mix with the nutrient solution.
    Silicates: Add potassium silicate to the reservoir to achieve the desired concentration of 50-200 ppm.
    pH Adjustment:
    If the pH is too high, gradually add a pH down solution (e.g., phosphoric acid or citric acid) while monitoring the pH until it reaches the desired range.
    If the pH is too low, gradually add a pH up solution (e.g., potassium hydroxide or sodium bicarbonate) while monitoring the pH until it reaches the desired range.
    EC Adjustment:
    If the EC is too low, increase it by adding more nutrient solution or specific nutrient salts according to the required elements.
    If the EC is too high, dilute the solution with water or adjust the nutrient concentrations by adding water and reducing the amount of nutrient solution added.
    Please note that the specific dosages and adjustments may vary depending on water quality, plant response, and other factors. Regular monitoring, observation of plant health, and adjustments are crucial to maintaining optimal pH and EC levels throughout the growth cycle in your JTS system. ”

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Chat GPT can definitely make things more complex than it needs to be. I don’t think you’ll find anyone to look at this and tell you, “yup Chat GPT is 100% right. You’ll definitely want to do all of this.” Frankly, no one is attempting to be that specific when growing chilies or strawberries. You can try to do what it says but how do you plan to achieve those specific nutrient concentrations?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.