Skip to main content
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SeasonsLater
    Participant

Well I have 4 out of the 6 plants harvested from my hybrid outdoor / indoor grow, so thank you so far for the assistance.  I have dried in a separate lung room staying to the 60/60 rule but understanding from recent videos the dry can be 55/70 and fluctuate some.  My dry time took about 11 days before I trimmed and harvested for cure.  I have been burping for about 5 days now for a few min each and lightly shaking the jars up a bit, and RH is fairly stable.  I am not using any Boveda packs just yet(but I have them waiting 62%) as I want to get a feel through the process of cure.  Is it possible that they are cured since I had a longer dry time or am I just kidding myself?  I am not in a rush and I understand things can be objective in this area.  My storage currently and longer term will be in the basement area which is pretty standard 60/60 throughout the year.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

curing RH

CamZ

It is possible that it is partially cured. Curing is just an enzymatic process. Unlikely that it is fully cured though.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

At what point should I start thinking about adding a humidity pack for longer term storage?

CamZ

When you see a dip in humidity in the jar of 1-2% below 62% when the jar is closed.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Your question: “Is it possible that they are cured since I had a longer dry time or am I just kidding myself?”
    Answer: According to some recent studies done on the drying process, a drying environment with stable conditions (temperature & humidity) allow enzymatic processes to happen more consistently than a drying environment where the temperature and humidity fluctuates. Their test results showed less chlorophyll present in the drying environment with stable conditions. I believe the test was done using a Cannatrol for drying vs drying a grow tent. My source is a rep at Cannatrol. I just emailed him to see if he has more info on it. So it really comes down to the stability of the dry if it is cured by now or not.

Your question: “At what point should I start thinking about adding a humidity pack for longer term storage?”
    Answer: I agree with @CamZ – “When you see a dip in humidity in the jar of 1-2% below 62% when the jar is closed.” I will add that some people wait until 58% RH before they add it in.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Okay so my RH/temp/dewpoint was very stable during the dry and I was at 10 days before the crunch and snap so I took my time on this.  I do not have the experience smoking actual true flower and have really just vaped for consumption so I was speaking generally and looking to those that are more experienced them myself.  I did watch vids and read your content on the cannatrol and I think it is a great machine albeit the size.  I do know my environment cannot stabilize like the Cannatrol unit for the longterm.  My RH is sitting right now around 58% as those black monitors are off a few % points.  I could either throw some fresh buds and keep the cure going to bring up the RH% or use a Boveda 62%.  If it were you and you had no cannatrol would you keep the cure going and add some bud or call it and pop in some a Boveda?  Thanks as always!

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

Got it. Sorry to give such an advanced reply there. For the record, the Cannatrol rep replied and said that study isn’t released yet so we shall wait and see.

Taking a step back and giving a more general answer, in your case I personally would add in the Boveda packs into the jars that are at 58%. In my experience, smoking right after dry (no matter if it was a 5 day or up-to 14 day dry), I can still taste what many refer to as a “chlorophyll taste.” The absolute earliest I will smoke the buds are 2 weeks after dry. At that point I almost always still encounter that chlorophyll taste. When I have a stash, I wait 30 days after dry and by then that chlorophyll taste is always gone.

Hope that helps.

SeasonsLater
    Participant

Yeah I watched your pod cast with Rob and Pigeons and got that vibe but it seems like information coming in from the Cannatrol crew like 70/55 as opposed to the 60/60 deviates from the norm, which made me me question the approach for validation.  I have the 62% and will get my hands on the the 58%.  I presume to still burp daily even with the 58% cure is done?  Thank you.

CamZ

I don’t combust my flower either. If you aim to use this primarily for vaping with a traditional vaporizer then I suggest continuing to use the 62% packs, as they tend to help create that “I’m not just breathing air” affect you get from vaping. It helps make a fuller hit I suppose I should say.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Chris was telling you to get the 58% packs. I believe he was telling you to add boveda packs into the jars below that threshold. In reality, anywhere between 58-62% is ideal. Below this the bud can’t cure properly. What you are doing when you add the humidity packs in is allowing more moisture to facilitate a longer enzymatic breakdown of the organic compounds within the buds. The end result is a smoother smoke.

The 58 or 62 thing is a preference, similar to wet trimming or dry trimming. Some swear by one, some swear by the other. In my personal experience, as a vape enthusiast, I suggest 62%, but it is merely a suggestion.

Now, if you plan to press the flower for dabs in an erig-style vape then I tend more to the 58%. You also want to press right after cure. The longer you wait, the darker your rosin will be, but too early and it will literally be green.

mrgrowit
    Keymaster

70/55 is a little off from what it says in the Cannatrol User Manual. In there it recommends:

1. 4 days of drying at 68°F temperature and 54 dew point (61% RH)
    2. Then a 4-day cure cycle at 68°F temperature and 52 dew point (57% RH)
    3. Then for storage, they go back to 68°F temperature and 54 dew point (61% RH)

I’ve been told there are studies being done by an independent 3rd party comparing 60/60 vs their recommended settings. So we shall see the results soon.

Yes @CamZ you’re right, I meant add Boveda packs into the jars below that threshold.
    I completely agree with everything he said in the last reply. Dude knows his stuff!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.